Acai berries and the juice should be added to this list of "toxins" as it has more than twice the amount of Theobromine as chocolate! I found out the hard way when it caused acute renal failure in my dog very shortly after I added some to his food. He survived, but the symptoms were so intense and sudden, I was terrified! I am not seeing it on any lists as of yet, so I am letting all dog-related sites know. Please add to list.
My dog is about 35 lbs and she got into a 1/2 lb of fudge, I immeditely gave her activated charcoal, she had thrown up a bit already, she was walking around and whining, I took her for a walk but she was not able to urinate. I also gave her magnesium capsules and then a bunch of water. She kept vomiting, which I thought was good.
GARLIC as well as onions, yeast, raisins, grapes, chocolate, coffee, alcohol and macadamia nuts are EXTREMELY POISONOUS to dogs and can cause death... Paralysis in the case of macadamia nuts. Check it out on www.nationalgeographic.com under 'canine taboos'.
Los Angeles, Ca
Los Angeles , Ca
I read the suggestions about garlic for worms, and i used it on my dog and found no cure and no side effects. But, I was reading an old National Geographic magazine (Oct. 2007) and I came across a list of harmful food for dogs and one of them is garlic. It reads "Garlic breaks down a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia and possible kidney failure from leaking hemoglobin". And for those of you who are curious.. the list reads on:
1.alcohal-depresses brain function and cause coma.
2.coffee- caffeine in a cup of coffee is a methylxanthine compound that can increase a dog's heart rate and trigger seizures.
3. macadamia nuts- just a couple can cause tremors, and even temporary paralysis in dog's hind legs
4.onions- damages is hemoglubin culmulative, so small tastes over time can be worse than wolfing down the whole bulb.
5. grapes (and that includes raisins)- can cause renal failure.
.. this probably isnt everthing so I hope you read up first before giving your pet something new.
EC: Please read the overwhelmingly positive reviews on garlic for dogs here: http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/garlic_for_dogs.html#GARLICFORDOGS
i wrote back in april, about my cat and puppy that had eaten some of the tainted iams canned food. their kidney readings indicated a problem. i told the vet i would treat them myself, come back for a retest in a month. i gave them both water with acv, and colloidal silver through the month. the results for both came back clean..again..acv rules!!
Aliso Viejo Ca
My cat was about 6 weeks old and I fed her some mashed avocado that I was using to prepare guacamole. About 45 minutes later she began acting very lethargic and inactive. Keep in mind, she's a crazy ninja kitty. So the lack of energy was a shock. I called an animal poison control and was told that avo fruit can cause digestive problems in cats & dogs, mainly because of high fat/oil content. There is a toxin concentrated in the skin/pit of avocado, that is also present in a more complex form in the fruit. Apparently dogs & cats have a mild sensitivity to the toxin in the fruit. The skin and pits however are dangerous (i.e. animal chews through skin for fruit.) Horses, goats, cows, etc.. are even more sensitive to the toxin and can even sicken from exposure to fruit.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Gippsland, Vic. Australia
I was told that avacados are not good for dogs is that true?
I wanted to add some other oils that are toxic to cats :
* Lemon Oil
* Lavender Oil
* Melaleuca Oill
* Cinnamon Bark Oil
* Wintergreen Oil
* Thyme Oil
* Birch Oil
* Other oils containing phenol
Post Falls, Iaho
Grand Island, Ne
Our 3 year old Yorkie was laying by my husband one night and suddenly turned on his back and his legs went in all different directions - he shook miserably - the short version is he had 3 seizures within an hour - we took him to the ER, spent over $900 (we refused some of the "ideas") but his blood sugar was 32 when we finally got him to ER. Doc said it was a poison from him getting hold of a piece of Trident gum (my husband left lay on table beside his seat). Apparently the artificial sweeteners can cause such a severe metabolic change as to cause this type of reaction. He should have died, but we prayed for him - I believe God saved his life, but taught us the hard lesson about being very careful where we lay any food and/or snack.
EC: It is nearly impossible to find gum these days that doesn't contain either artificial sweeteners or xylitol, both of which are deadly to dogs!
Newport Beach, Ca
I had a local lady tell us about her dog who ate some poisoned possum. The dog got very sick and its fur starting coming out and it stopped eating and drinking. The vet had tried everything to save the dog, but eventually told her to take the dog home as it was expected to die that evening.
Her sister told her to try squirting Noni Juice down its throat. She decided to try it. She gave her dog 3 lots of Noni Juice during the night.
The next day it jumped off the bed and started eating the cats food. Since then and with more Noni juice it has made a full recovery.
After hearing this we put a few drops of Noni Juice in our cats water. Normally when you pat one of our cats you can feel the spine, but since giving them Noni Juice it feels really nice and soft again.
We now put a few drops of Noni Juice in our Water and have noticed a big improvement already.
The dog and cat experiences tell me that it does do something, no matter what tests have been done. Maybe they need to do more?
Hydrogen peroxide. For a dog that has ingested a poisonous substance where vomiting will be the solution to expel the toxin, put 1 tsp' [3%] HP in the mouth. Take the dog OUTSIDE and throw a pinch of salt in its mouth. The entire contents of the stomach will be immediately expelled.
re: curing poisioning and stomach toxins: I had a full size male doberman pinscher, was poisoned with antifreeze. Tried to take him to the vet, and would not take him said there was nothing they could do. Well being he was my baby i didn't give up. Someone told me to cook bacon, take the grease, a raw egg, and a lemon lime soda, mix it together and force him to eat it, granted he threw up alot, it was bright neon green, but i kept feeding it to him until it was no longer green, then feed him pedialight for dehydration, he lived and is fine today, it seems to force any toxin that is in their system out.
Bonita Springs, Fl, United States
Is watermelon harmful to dogs? Specifically a 12 lb. Yorkie. My friend gave her dog watermelon and he bled from his rectum. He is fine now, but that was a scare for her. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
Cushing, Ok, Usa
Hi, I posted this before but I don't think it went through so here it is again. A few weeks ago on the news I was shocked to hear that two pet ferrets had died only hours after eating one piece of sugar free chewing gum. There is a sugar substitute in the gum called Xylitol that caused the deaths of these pets, it is said to be even more dangerous then chocolate for dogs, cats, ferrets and all animals. It is found in Gum, Candy, Toothpaste and other things. I felt the need to share this as it may save your pets life. Please put your gum and candy out of reach. Google it for yourself, there is so much information on the Dangers of Xylitol in Pets.
Summerland, California Usa
Pike Co., Ky
Little Rock, Ak