- Is it okay to use ‘Food' Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (diluted to1%)? A) It won't hurt but is a needless expense if you are using it topically.
- Do the mites get more active one day after the application as I am getting more bites and my GSD itches more the following day? A) NO- they should be dying. The mites die under the skin, and their decomposing bodies is what causes the itching. So the appearance of more bites after a treatment would make sense – but you are not getting bitten, but the rapid die off would make it seem so.
- Should I use distilled water and vinegar to make the mix more effective and potent? A) NO. You will be making peracetic acid which is really harsh and can really screw up your dogs skin if you add vinegar to the mix.
- Would it be worth trying a mix of one part distilled water, one part Kleen Green Enzymes and borax with 3 parts of Hydrogen peroxide.?( this is to manage the bacterial infections) A) The follwing recipe was created after reading through EC's pages paying particular attention to Ted's advice for skin issues in dogs. The basic recipe consists of hydrogen peroxide, borax, Epsom salt, and Milk of Magnesia.
Take one 16oz bottle of 3% drugstore hydrogen peroxide and dilute it with 32 oz of water to get a 1% solution of hydrogen peroxide.
To this add 1 cup each of the borax, Epsom salt and Milk of Magnesia.
It helps to use HOT water to mix up the borax to get it to dissolve.
I see no reason why you would not add the Kleen Green Enzymes to this mix if you have had good results with them before.
- Should I include DE as a supplement to attack the mites internally? A) Ingesting it will not affect the mites, but it may provide beneficial results anyway, so go for it!
- Do I do the alternate day application for 1 week or should I increase that to 2 weeks bearing in mind the length they have been ailing from this mange. A) The mites can lay eggs/infest your dog within two hours of it hitching a ride. The eggs hatch in 2 to 4 days. They take about 15 days to mature to start the cycle all over again. So you might treat/dip every other day for 2 weeks to make sure you have gotten all the adults. I would part the hair and spray directly on the skin, not spray the hair and work it in with your hands. You have to get the skin saturated or the treatment will not be effective. And you have to get the entire dog. After the first two weeks you can reduce to every 4 days. Ideally you would treat for 12 weeks.
Please report back!