Found this great information for Tonsil Stone page:
Well, tonsil stones are the result of tonsils that have a lot of lymph fluid to clean. The more junk in the lymph fluid, the bigger and harder the tonsil stones. In a person who doesn't develop tonsil stones, the junk is not hard but smooth which allows it to get out by itself.
To get rid of these tonsil stones for good we have to find out how the tonsils can become under active and why they have to filter so much junk.
Underactive tonsils have two possible causes.
1. Too much work and cannot keep up with the cleaning.
2. Too little circulation of the lymph fluid.
The lymph system has no pump to circulate its fluid like the heart of the blood system. Instead it makes use of the movement of the body. In the walls of the lymph system there are one-way valves that allow the fluid move one way but not the opposite way. Lymph fluid is squeezed forward whenever you make a physical movement.
Highland Park, Nj
I had lots of hard tonsil stones for years, some the size of a dime. I stopped drinking milk and cut way back on dairy products and they slowly went away. I haven't had a single tonsil stone for several years since I stopped drinking milk.
I have found Grapefruit seed extract to stop the formation of the stones. I take 10- 20 drops per day.
So, I'd suffered from horrifyingly-smelly tonsil stones since I was quite young. I have since discovered I differ from both food and environmental allergies. Long story short, I found that treating the symptoms of the issue wasn't good enough.
The best thing I've found to combat tonsil stones is using a nasal rinse system (squeeze-style neti pot). Not only did this help thin the mucus (that would have ultimately turned into the trapped, aging stone material), but it prevented allergens from residing in and aggravating my nasal cavities. Because the stones are basically rotting mucus, I had to solve the underlying issue.
Because I was able to rid my sinuses of all the debris and mucus buildup, I'm able to breathe so much more freely, without the aid of medication or other tools. If I'm unable to do the rinse safely (while on the road, for instance), I'll gargle and rinse with a 1:1 mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide to break up any stones and neutralize the odor.
Best of luck! Here's to breaking through!
My daughter started taking peppermint oil capsules to aid digestion and noticed the bad taste in her mouth disappeared and tonsil stones stopped forming. When the capsules ran out the stones came back. Restarting the capsules resolved the problem again!!!
I have had sore throat problems and tonsil stones for most of my life. Otherwise, I feel pretty healthy. I read that using a rebounder (mini trampoline) stimulated your thyroid and helped with this problem. I decided to give it a try and it worked. I have had no tonsil stones and very few sore throats for about two years. I stopped using the mini trampoline for about a month due to an unrelated injury and the tonsil stones came back. I will be back on the mini tramp as soon as possible. I jump about 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. I am also a runner so this is not my only form of exercise. I'm not sure of exactly why this works, but it works for me. Thank you. By the way, this is a great site.
I've been reading about the cures for tonsilitis, but has anyone heard of tonsil stones and how to get rid of them. I get them regularly, and the dtr says just gargle with salt water, but they keep coming back. He says they are harmless. Does anyone have a remedy??
Lithia Springs, Georgia
Some times/peoples tonsil stones (aka tonsiloths) need to be physically dislodged and extracted. After trying many things, the easiest and safest easiest method (besides gargling & supplementing)is using a an estheticians tool called a "loop extractor" (designed for extracting pimples & blackheads). It's a metal wand 4-6 inches long with a loop at each end; (cost @$4 for the basic model; available at most drug & beauty/cosmetics stores, displayed next to the tweezers).
You'll also need a mirror, small bright flashlight, and a tissue to discard the stones:
1) Look in the mirror, stick out tongue, and say "Ahhh" (a small magnifier mirror stuck onto your mirror at mouth level works best for these procedures).
2) Light up your tonsils with a flashlight (one with a pinpoint focus, or adjustable focus works best). Examine the back of your throat thoroughly, check-out all the nooks and crannies in there (there are lots! )
3) Say "Ahh" until you can see INTO the deep caves behind your tonsils; if they are whitish/yellow you likley have tonsil stones embedded in them. (you'll be very shocked at how mant stinky stones you eventually find hiding out back there! )
3) Hold the wand and use the small smooth loop to GENTLTY move the tissue aside and scoop out any stones hiding in the caves. If the stone falls/slides away, fish for it very gently, patiently (mouth tissue is very tender and bleeds easily so be VERY GENTLE). If you cant catch the stone, simply rinse/gargle with water and spit it out, then keep fishing.
4) Now use the wand to look and scoop behind behind the verticle flap that sheilds your tonsils.
5) Now scoop inside the tonsil gland opening itself if you can see/find it (often the slit faces backwards and is very hard to locate).
6) Place stones on a tissue; fold up the tissure & flush them away when done (you dont want those nasty smelly stones sitting in the bottom of U joint/pluming under your sink)!
*Rinse & Swish your mouth with hydrogen peroxide; then gargle well.
*Wash your hands and tools thoroughly! *Place your tool in a tall shotglass full of Hydrogen peroxide (flip it over after awhile so it is completely disinfected). Store DRY, in a clean/enclosed place, away from bathroom air/toilet spray (inside a medicine cabinet is OK).
NOTE: One CAUSE of stones is lack of digestive enzymes (lactase, Protease, amalase, etc) which is normal after age 40. Many people who have bad breath & tonsil stones also have digestive problems and/or allergies because they 1) lack the specific enzymes to digest these foods (milk/dairy due to lack of lactase; grains/gluten due to lack of protease). And 2) Lack probiotics & pre biotics (acidophillus, bifidus etc). Thus, taking/promoting digestive enzymes and probiotics is necessary to address the ACTUAL cause! As well as adderssing any fungal/bacterial issues of course). Besides supplements, be sure to eat lots of fermented foods: yogurts, kefir, sauerkraut, tempeh, kimchee, etc to supply you with missing enzymes & probiotics!
Sour taste in mouth, bad breath, tonsil stones
I need a cure for this sour taste in my mouth all the time. Even after I brush my teeth, tongue, the sour taste comes back. I have tonsil stones that come up sometimes, even though I've had my tonsils removed twice. Doctors don't have time to figure out what the problem is and I've had this problem since I was 9 years old. I'm 45 now.
Quesnel, B.c., Canada
My tonsils are swollen all of the time. With my allergies, they just don't seem to get any better. I started using a waterpik. I turn it to the lowest setting and use luke warm water with a little bit of sea salt to flush them out. Works great. But be careful. The skin on your tonsils is very fragile. You must be gentle.