Having read about how Aluminium is bad for the body from Ted's posts and other sources, I decided to set about reducing my intake of it and to detox. (FYI - I am mid-twenties, male, white, in reasonable health and average weight.) Here are some of the most common ways that people ingest Aluminium:
- - Deodorant
- - Cosmetics
- - Baking powder and commercially leavened bread
- - Antacid products
- - Cookware
Here are some alternatives:
- Deodorant; - Source a heavy-metal free alternative, or better yet make your own. Crunchybetty's blog and Wellnessmama's blog both have good info on homemade deodorant, but there are tons of recipes out there. I can post how my first batch of homemade deodorant is when it's ready (if anyone reminds me...)
- Cosmetics- Source alterantives. I do not use commercial cosmetics, so you will need to research for yourself if you want to use them.
- Baking Powder- Mix 1 part Sodium Bicarbonate, 1 part Corn Starch, and 2 parts Cream of Tartar. Store this in an airtight container and use as per regular baking powder.
- Antacid - A symptom of other issues. Using Sodium Bicarbonate can help out in a pinch, or check the Ailments section for more comprehensive info on how to deal with reflux problems.
- Cookware - Use alternative cookware. Copper, cast iron and enamelled cast iron, and glass are better alternatives.
My aluminium detox experience: I have been using commercial deodorant for the past 10 years of my life. I stopped using deodorant completely and experienced the following symptoms of detox for the first month:
- - Occasional sharp, stabbing pains in my armpits
- - Occasional profuse sweating from my armpits without reason
- - A painful boil-like swelling in one armpit
- Very small pimple-like boils on my face and body
- Bad under-arm odours (I know...)
- Possible flu-like symptoms, low energy, minor stomach upset
Before that scares you off, all these symptoms are rather minor but I thought I'd list them for your information. Anyway, if this is what happens when my body is getting rid of the aluminium, I don't want to think about what a good decade of constant exposure to it has done to my body. The sharp, stabbing pains are occasional - as if someone has quickly tugged on a hair or two. This has happened about 5-7 times a week for the last month or so. The occasional profuse sweating is due to my armpit pores finally being unclogged and having a chance to release what they need to. The boil-like swelling in my armpit does not seem to be an infection. The occasional bad odours are random and unrelated to the sweating. I assume that all these symptoms are my lymph nodes/pores finally getting a chance to clear themselves out. I may have gotten a low-grade cold or virus with some headaches, poor energy, and a minor stomach upset but I would not be surprised if it was the detoxing at all.
My advice for detoxing: Consume more water to help your system do what it needs to do. Try to eliminate/minimize anything applied to your armpits while you are detoxing. Sweat it out: sauna, bikram yoga, high-intensity exercise will make you sweat and help your body's detox. Consider giving yourself lymph draining massages daily. Chelate that aluminium
Chelation: The following have been recommended for chelating aluminum:
- Coriander leaves (cilantro)
- - Malic acid (supplements, raw and unfiltered ACV, green apples and many 'sour' fruits)
- - Apple pectin/fibre (malic acid, I suspect)
- Garlic, Onion and sulphur rich foods
- MSM or DMSO
- Magnesium (supplements or foods rich with it)
- Vitamin C
I consume a considerable amount of coriander, turmeric, magnesium, garlic and onion. I also take about 2 tsp of MSM per day and 30ml of ACV. I think if I increased my chelation agents, I would not have avoided the boil and pimples. I would recommend consuming a minimum of 4 tsp of fresh coriander (or 1 tsp dried), 30ml of ACV, and 2 tsp of turmeric per day, either in food or through taking them as supplements. I would continue taking these along with eating fresh, green apples for about a month if not much longer. *Remember to add small amount of fresh, black pepper to turmeric because the piperin in pepper increases the bioavailability of the turmeric's curcumin by 2000% in humans (not a typo). As a last note, I have been applying 50/50 ACV and rose water to my armpits to kill any bacteria/fungus that may be causing odours, as well as to remove soap residue which bacteria can feed on. If I had lavender essential oil, I would be using a few drops of that when I applied this for extra bacteria-killing. I have been using this as as opportunity to massage the lymph nodes under my arms to help the poor little guys out too.
THERE IS A BOOK CALLED BACK TO EDEN BY A HERBLSIT NAMED JETHRO KLOSS WHO OVER A 100 YEARS AGO WARNED ABOUT THE DANGERS OF ALUMINIM AND THAT IT CAUSED ALTZIMERS DISEASE. 10 YEARS AGO UK NEWSPAPERS THE MEDICAL AND SCIENTIFIC COLLECTIVE WARNED AGAINST THE USE OF IT, GIVING THE SAME REASONS. ITS IN OUR WATER SUPPLY TOO! THIS BOOK IS UPDATED BY THE KLOSS FAMILY STILL AND IS AVAILABLE ONLINE FROM, WWW.G BALDWINS&CO. CO. UK THE SHOP IS IN ELEPHANT CASTLE LONDON LOVE ANDREA C X X X
San Luis Obispo, Ca
The "aluminum poisoning" section of EC is fairly limited so I thought it might be worth adding this recent abstract of a study that used silicon mineral water to try to lower the aluminum burden in humans who have Alzheimer's disease as aluminum is thought to be one potential cause or contributing factor to Alzheimer's Disease. I imagine this post might also fit well in the Alzheimer's disease section, EC??
The study did show that silicon mineral water was able to lower the aluminum burden in the individuals tested over the study period of 12 weeks. The test subjects consumed one liter of silicon mineral water each day. The water contained 35mg/L of total silicon. There were also positive effects associated with the treatment in some of the patients.
The following link has a bit more information on silicon, aluminum and AD: http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/550/
I imagine that the reason for silicon water as opposed to just a silicon supplement was to help excretion of aluminum through the urine. I found a slicon supplement online that has 10 mg per capsule of silicon aminoate. It is a 200 capsule jar and cost about $10. It is highlighted as a "hair and nail enhancer". The suggested serving is one to two capsules 3 times per day.
Yadkinville, North Carolina
New Jersey, US
Sodium Aluminum Sulphate
I have been looking for the subject on your site and am not able to locate anything. I have reached the age where aluminum is especially being warned to be cautious of as there are many indications it should not be eaten and FDA has had no studies done on it so it is considered safe. This is strange as so many folk remedies have no studies but they do not receive the considered safe designation. It is a buyer beware situation as I see it and I would like to know more about it. It is also labeled as alum. Any assistance appreciated.